Check your upload and download internet speed as well as the quality and performance of your connection to confirm you are achieving the speeds you are paying for and that your connection meets your business internet requirements.

Internet Speedtest is an HTML5-based test of Upload and Download speed that works with most operating systems (see warning below about the next four Java tests) and can test connections up to 100 Mbps. Capacity Speed uses multiple TCP streams to find the maximum sustainable transfer rate of your connection, reporting on a dozen variables, and most closely measures your total available bandwidth. VoIP tests the most common codec for VoIP, G.729. It measures six variables affecting VoIP, including jitter, packets lost, packets disgarded and packets out of order. Video tests streaming web video (like YouTube), using H.262 compression at 160×120. Capacity (UDP) measures how much data a connection can sustain before data is lost.

WARNING: Tests marked with an Orange Label require Java, which must be enabled in your browser preferences and may take some time to load. Java is not supported in all browsers, particularly Chrome. For those users, use our HTML5-based test in the first tab, which will display basic internet speed metrics.

Note: If you wish to check your speed to Skyway’s servers, before starting your test choose Skyway West from the dropdown menu of ISP Servers below the large “GO” button.

Refresh the page and choose a different ISP from the dropdown menu to test to other servers close to you.

Capacity Speed Test

Use this test to identify problems that cause erratic data flow resulting in a low quality experience. Measures the true quality and application throughput of a connection. If a connection is having problems this test will help to pinpoint the problem.

                                   Java is required to view this applet


VoIP Test

Use this test if you are experiencing poor quality audio or loss of audio on VoIP calls. Measures VoIP/SIP quality and performance. The test will identify the two main problems of high Jitter (erratic data flow) and packet loss/discards (dropped data).
                           Java is required to view this applet


Video Test

Use this test if you are having problems viewing streaming video such as YouTube. Measures RTSP video and interlaced audio to identify high packet jitter and packet loss that causes poor quality video.
                                   Java is required to view this applet


Capacity (UDP) Test

Use this test if your connection has problems supporting HDTV or multiple business VoIP connections. Measures a connections maximum bandwidth for real-time data like video before data loss occurs.
                       Java is required to view this applet


For ADSL speed tests, please realize the speed test statistics will report data transferring at about 85% of the speed your ADSL service sync’s up at. The remaining 15% is used by control information, also known as overhead, that ensures data packets go where they are supposed to, and in the correct order. Overhead also applies to wireless and fibre connections; cable access speeds are typically quoted after accounting for overhead.


We want to make sure you understand the results of your research. The following points help it all make sense.

Internet speeds are generally quoted in Megabits per second and download/upload speeds are generally measured in Kilobytes per second. To convert Megabits to Kilobytes, convert 1 Megabit to 1000 Kilobytes and divide by 8 bits in a byte.

1 Mbps is 125.0 KB/second

5.0 Mbps is 625.0 KB/second

6.0 Mbps is 750.0 KB/second

15.0 Mbps is 1875.0 KB/second

25.0 Mbps is 3125.0 KB/second

Share →

One Response to Testing Your Internet Speed

  1. […] testing your connection first before rolling out VoIP throughout your organization. Check our Internet Speed and Quality Test page to evaluate your existing Internet […]