Virtual Hosted Services
Hosting with us gives Skyway customers the convenience of one invoice, the best back-end web site connection and integrated support for all Internet services. Easily manage your hosting account with the cPanel dashboard, including one-click installations of popular site building platforms (WordPress, for example) and scripts. All your data is securely stored in Canada.
|HOSTING SERVICE*||$/month||Skyway Customer Pays:||Static IP|
|Virtual Site (HTTP and FTP)||$30||$24||–|
|Virtual Web Server (managed)||$50||$40||1|
|Self-managed Virtual Machine||$50||$40||1|
* All sites include 20 GB of Storage and 20 GB of Traffic per month.
A Virtual Web Site is intended for basic web sites. The sites all have common technical requirements and share a single virtual web server. A basic site uses stock scripts and doesn’t require database connectivity. Support includes regular maintenance, normal software and security updates, and weekly backups.
A Managed Virtual Web Server is intended for web sites that need a unique IP, intend to run an ftp server, or require database connectivity or security certificates. You can write and upload custom PHP scripts but not custom CGI’s (e.g., Perl, Ruby, C, etc.). Support includes regular maintenance, normal software and security updates, and weekly backups.
A Self-managed Virtual Machine is intended for web sites that require the ability to install custom software and scripts. The Xserver includes root access and is ideal for developers who wish to install and manage various software applications or have exclusive control over their development environment. Support includes bi-weekly whole system backups/restores. Choose Ubuntu, Debian or CentOS/Rocky. We install, you maintain.
VIRTUAL HOSTED services include:
- FTP login for uploading web pages and files.
- Comprehensive Statistics log files and Webalizer to analyze web traffic
- Email Accounts 5 Free, including Spam and Virus protection
- Domain Name Hosting up to 3 domain names
- cPanel easy Dashboard tools to publish sites, manage domains, back up and transfer files, create databases
- Industry-best Skyway West Support
Our Virtual Web Site and Managed and Unmanaged Virtual Web Servers all include:
- Fedora Core 5 operating system
- Apache web server 2.0.54
- PHP 5.0.4
- FTP using vsftpd 2.0.3
- FTP user name and login for uploading web pages and files
- .htaccess file support
- Dirpass CGI, allowing the web developer to administer .htaccess and .htpasswd files, setup password protected directories and to add and remove users.
- FormMail.pl CGI, a HTML form to e-mail gateway that parses the results of any form and sends them to the specified users.
- Postfix 2.2.2 for sendmail capability
- Comprehensive Statistics – log files and Webalizer to analyze web traffic
- Domain name hosting
- Secure web access to manage DNS host names (by request)
Managed and Unmanaged Virtual Web Servers include:
- 1 static IP address
- 1 Database (MySQL 4.1.16 or PostgreSQL 8.0.8 )
- Database administration through PHPMyAdmin or PHPPgAdmin
- capability to have a SSL Certificate at https://www.yourcompany.com/
Unmanaged Virtual Web Servers include:
- Full “root” access to system
- Secure shell
- A library (libwww-perl) of Perl modules to help you implement simple HTTP servers
- Access to “Yum” package manger and freedom to install any software you desire
More About Our Web Server
Virtual web sites can share Skyways’ SSL Web Server Certificate at: https://secure.skywaywest.com/yourcompany/
Virtual web sites and managed virtual servers do not support MS Frontpage Server Extensions.
Open Database Connectivity (ODBC)
ODBC provides a standard software API method for using database management systems (DBMS). It is independent of most programming languages, database systems, and operating systems. For example, ODBC allows you to use virtually any Windows database product to connect to and manage your database, including Microsoft Access, Paradox for Windows, or custom applications developed with Visual Basic or Delphi.
With some security restrictions. ODBC can be used to connect to MySQL or PostgreSQL databases hosted by Skyway.
If you want ODBC from your Windows computer to our Postgres database, you must obtain a driver that supports it. This driver is available from http://odbc.postgresql.org/ and is installed on your Windows computer. The driver is NOT TESTED and, like any Windows Software, NOT SUPPORTED by Skyway West.
ODBC is either secured by password or RFC1413 IDENT (i.e. the remote computer guarantees that the user is who he says he is). The user must also be associated with a static IP address on our network. The ODBC connection itself is NOT SSL encrypted.